DigiExam solves all of their email requirements with Twilio SendGrid
Time to read: 2 minutes
DigiExam is a leading digital assessment provider. Based in Stockholm, Sweden, DigiExam makes life easier for students and teachers across 2,800 organizations in 90 countries with a set of tools for creating, delivering, and grading academic tests.
Robin Andersson is the CTO of DigiExam, guiding technology decisions and ensuring that the DigiExam team has the access and understanding to the tools they need to do their job effectively.
“We send a variety of transactional emails including sign-up confirmations, password resets, and assessment hand-in notifications as well as promotional emails to inform our user base about new features and important platform updates.”
When DigiExam was founded in 2012, Robin and his team built on Google Cloud Platform (GCP). “As a platform written in Go, GCP offered a low-maintenance environment with managed services so we could focus on our product instead of scaling and managing infrastructure,” says Robin.
At first, DigiExam sent email through a built-in service in GCP meant for small scale and test applications. As DigiExam grew, Robin and his team realized that they needed a more robust email provider to keep up with their growth that would be:
- Affordable with easy-to-manage volume upgrades
- Data-driven with analytics to understand email program performance and investigate delivery issues
- Easy to use with comprehensive documentation for easy integration and setting account security
Robin and his team searched the GCP Marketplace and found Twilio SendGrid.
“Twilio SendGrid provides a lot of value at a competitive price point. We were able to start sending transactional emails to users quickly with their Go library,” says Robin. “We’ve also been able to leverage their Marketing Campaigns tool for our promotional email so that our whole team is empowered to send email.”
Additionally, the DigiExam team can now see in-depth statistics for their email program with the statistics in their data dashboards. “It’s easy to take email delivery for granted, but it’s a critical component to a lot of the key functionality of a platform,” says Robin. “Failure of delivering email can prevent customer onboarding or lock out users who forgot their password. It’s critical to us to be able to reliably deliver emails and have the visibility to investigate delivery failures.”
With Twilio SendGrid, Robin and his team made two landmark achievements:
- 97% delivery rates and open rates around 50% for transactional and marketing email
- Visibility into their email program with permission-based access to email data
“We went from nobody being able to help our customers troubleshoot email issues to 10 people with various roles,” says Robin.
Twilio SendGrid is a perfect fit for DigiExam because it’s:
- Developer-friendly: With best-in-class APIs, simple integration, and comprehensive documentation
- Data-driven: The UI provides a fast and impactful look at email performance
- Support for the whole team: A simple, user-friendly interface to manage all email from a single platform
“Twilio SendGrid provided us with everything we needed to effortlessly solve our email requirements. The quality of service, in combination with a transparent pricing plan, makes me confident that it is a service that we can scale with.”